Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, February 23, 2009

King Cat arrives

Though people have heard me talk about a cat that we have for many years named “Juliet”,  very few people have ever seen this seemly fictitious cat unless you count the flashes of grey that streak through the house when any guest arrives.  Juliet has been in my wife’s life longer than I have.  So when we got married,  the cat was part of the package.  

My expectation of a “lap kitty” was quickly smashed when I met Juliet.   Jackie and I and a very few other people are lucky to have the opportunity to ever even see let alone pet this animal.  Most the time, the only evidence that people have seen of our wonderful cat is a soiled litter box  and half eaten cat food and half drank water bowl. 

The only times over the years that I ever picked up this cat was to force her into the cat box when we were moving.  Keep in mind, that we had to corner her in a empty house/apartment usually in a bathroom or kitchen cabinet and be ever so careful not to let her get her claws embedded into our skin in order to accomplish this task.  The trick is to grab her very snuggly and quickly on her body in between her front and back legs before she is able to squirm free.  At the same time,  your lovely spouse has to have the cat box close and open with the door facing skyward.  You then force this cat in the opening as it kicks, screeches, and attempts to scratch its way to freedom.  You must have a strong will and some strength to overcome her back paws that spread their way across the cat door opening in an effort to spring to freedom.

My children have known this cat all their lives.   They have tried various methods to sneak up and pet this cat.  Much to their dismay, they have have not ever achieved any affection from the cat for their efforts.  For the most part, the cat remains like for most of our other guests a “grey streak” or a cat that lays teasingly across the room just begging you for a futile attempt to grab her affection. 

In our house, we have a white German Sheppard named “Phantom”, a hamster named “Nibbles”, a beta fish, and several fish in a twenty gallon tank.  These other pets do help somewhat overcome the need for our children to have a friendly cat.   Over the years,  I have continued my stance that we will not get another cat until our original cat passes on.  I did not want to have another cat food money pit that does not show anything in return to the family (except for Jackie of course).

Over Christmas,  Sophia asked Santa for new cat. This type of request was something that I have heard many times in the past.  I stood strong on my stance.

Shortly after Christmas,  a stray cat started coming around our new home.   The cat appeared to know that he had to get past me in order for him to be adopted into the Jackle family.   It seemed that every time that I stepped outside the home, I was saw this cat.  Eventually, he developed the nerve to rub his body against my legs showing his affection.  

Next, I decided to leave some food outside so this cat would have something to eat and drink.  I also placed a used and empty moving box outside to protect the cat against our sub-freezing weather.  The bond between a man in his cat was born.  Finally, I allowed this cat into our home.  Call me a hypocrite!!!  Soon this cat was un-officially adopted and Sophia had her wish.  The cat typically hangs out in our upstairs attic where my studio resides.  Often he can be found in my lap when I am working on the photos for my blog and clients.  I have become the cat’s favorite Jackle.  Ssh!!! Do not tell Sophia. 

My wife still laughs at me when she sees this new cat on my lap while I am watching television.  Who would have ever imagined that I would have a new cat best friend?

Well, here are some shots of my new buddy.  

I call this the “King Cat strut.”

KingKitty (3 of 16)

A bush is a cat’s best friend when they need a quick scratching post.

KingKitty (10 of 16)

Nothing like basking in the sun with a front porch post as pillow!! Man, this is heaven!!

KingKitty (4 of 16) 

Ok dad !  I am posing already!!! Take the shot!!!

KingKitty (5 of 16) 

Hmm!!! Tasty!!

KingKitty (13 of 16)

The full set of pictures can be found here

Till next time….. 

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP