Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snow day , Birthday, Obama Day – January 20th, 2009

It was an interesting day yesterday in Raleigh, NC, my family, and in the United States in general.


Snow arrives in Raleigh

Originally, I grew up in Racine, Wisconsin.   After finishing my  sophomore year in high at J.I Case High School in 1981, we moved to Rocky Mount, NC. I transformed into a southern man as I now have lived longer in the south than in Wisconsin.  One of the advantages of living in North Carolina versus Wisconsin is the more moderate weather.  We do not see much snow in the winter here. So when it comes it is an event. 

Over Christmas, my brother who lives in the Chicago area, sent me an email with titled “For those wishing for a white Christmas”.   In this email, he attached a cell phone photo of the front of his home just after they received over 2 feet of snow.  At the time at least for a minute,  I missed the snow related activities and was reminded of my childhood snow fort building , snow ball fights, and  snow sledding.  I did not of course think about the snow shoveling and snow blowing which would have ruined the moment.  

When snow arrives in Raleigh, the town definitely slows down.   It is generally best not to be “out and about” driving in the snow as inexperienced drivers head for the ditches and possible your car.  The snow began to fall on Monday night and we woke up to approximately 3 inches of snow on the ground Tuesday morning.  

The schools were closed and my wife and I decided to work from home.  With snow on the ground, it can not be all work. We needed to get out there and let our children enjoy a little of white stuff.  All work and no play makes Steve a dull boy  - not to mention the kids a little restless.

Here are a shots of the family in the snow:

Sophia Jackle in the Raleigh,NC snow - by Steve Jackle - http://www. trianglephotostudio.com

Sophia Jackle snow angel -  by Steve Jackle - http://www. trianglephotostudio.com

Savannah Jackle in the Raleigh snow - by Steve Jackle - http://www. trianglephotostudio.com  Sophie Jackle sledding in the Raleigh snow - by Steve Jackle - http://www. trianglephotostudio.com

Jackie Jackle(mommy) takes a turn at sledding -   by Steve Jackle - http://www. trianglephotostudio.com

 

Happy Birthday Dad!

Well, my dad turned 71 years old Tuesday also.  I am so blessed to have a father like him in my life.  He has definitely taught me well and has been a role model on what it is to be a great father.   Happy birthday Dad!!!!! You are my coach, my mentor, my friend, and my ideal father.   You are one in a million! That is for sure.

Obama becomes President

It is now official. Barack Obama is now the 44th president of the United States.  After watching the festivities, I have a positive sense of unity and hope for our country that I have not felt much since the tragedy of 911.   I think Barak has inspired many Americans and people all over the world.  I hope this feeling continues as we face some of our most difficult issues as a nation.  Do you think there is any coincidence that he is the 44th president and I turn 44 in February ?  Hopefully that is a good sign of things to come for all of us this year.

Take care !!! See ya soon!!

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP