Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, January 2, 2009

Plesha’s Pick 1: Sweet Life Photo and Pixel Dust Blog

It is the new year and time for my first Plesha Pick

Over time  I have come to realize that running a photography business forces me to wear several different hats in order to build  my success:

  • “Business man” hat – pricing, cost-benefit analysis, marketing, customer service
  • “Creative/Artistic” hat
  • “Technical” hat  - equipment, software, web site

These hats represent a different point of view of the same thing which is my photography business model and mission.   Since these perspectives are not entirely autonomous, it is important to consider all of them as  I  progress my business.   They are not stagnant but rather they evolve over time as I continue to grow.   When making decisions regarding Triangle Photo Studio ,  I need to make sure that I put on each of these hats to ensure that the particular decision is a good one.

For example, recently I have been interested in getting the new Canon EOS 5d Mark II for my business.

First, I put on my  “technical hat”: 

Man, this thing is cool.  It has a 21.1 megapixel Full frame sensor. It can generate 1080P HD video. It has the latest technology for high ISO noise reduction and would allow me to use ISO settings up to 25,600 for low light situations. This could reduce the amount/use of gear needed for my on location shoots like speedlights in low light situations.  My current Canon 40D has a cropped sensor, can shoot up 10.1 megapixels, and has ISO speeds up to 3200.

Second, I put on my “creative hat”: 

The full frame sensor will allow me to take full advantage of Canon L lenses for wide angled shots like group shots. The video capabilities will allow me to do some creative things with video for my clients.

Third, I put on my “business man” hat: 

The camera costs $2699.  I could stand further back from my portrait subject to offset at least some of the advantage of a full size sensor vs. the cropped sensor that I currently own.    Alternatively, I could buy a wider angled lens at substantial less investment than $2699.  Currently,  my wife does all the video in the family and can not get me to even consider using the video camera.  Is this really a feature that I will use?  How long will it take for me to re-coup the $2699 in the business?   I already have invested in lighting equipment so is the high ISO capability more of a “want” than a “need” ?

As you can tell,  one simple potential decision can lead to many questions for consideration.   This is just one example. This analysis and re-analysis occurs over and over with many issues in my business.

Overall the last couple of years, Frank Myers from Sweet Life Photo has been helpful in helping me as a sounding board as consider various things in starting my business.   I truly value him as a mentor and friend. 

Although I have not met his wife Elizabeth in person yet,  I feel I know a little about her by following the Sweet Life Photo blog  on a regular basis.  I find their web site and “Pixel Dust” blog truly inspirational and good models for photographers.    Elizabeth has a talent for making you feel emotional attached to the images that are presented through the blog.  Can you imagine what it is like for the client that she is photographing?

Check out this recent Pixel Dust Blog post (Some of) My favorite un-blogged images from 2008 for some truly inspirational 2008 sweet life photo wedding  images.   As a father, I really enjoyed the one that Frank took of  “Andrea and her father.” Someday, that could be me in the picture when one of my daughters gets married.  Perfect example of capturing the emotion in a photograph.  This is just one of many that caught my eye in this collection. Enjoy!

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP