Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Terrific Kid – the award.

In the past, I remember noticing various mini-vans and vehicles with a “I’m a proud parent of a TERRIFIC KID” bumper stickers.  I never thought much of it as it seems that it states the obvious.  If you are a  parent that does not think you have a terrific kid, then something  is terribly wrong with your world.

This past Tuesday, I finally understood the real significance of these bumpers stickers.   The Kiwanis club sponsors a “terrific kid” program with various schools around the country.  Students are recognized for the following traits:

  • T – Thoughtful:  Concerned – helps friends that need help. Conscientious. Appreciates what others do. Understanding of other people’s freedom and beliefs.
  • E – Enthusiastic:  Eager – Does best one can. Interested. On time.
  • R- Respectful:  Respects others as well as self. Polite. Uses correct manners. Courteous.
  • R- Responsible:  Dependable.  Honest.  Trustworthy. 
  • I- Influential:  Plays fairly. Sets a good example.
  • F – Friendly:  To everyone. New students. To visitors. Gets along with others.  A good neighbor.
  • I- Impeccable:  Clean.  Neat.  Nice to others.
  • C- Caring:  Concern for self and for others. Considerate.

Do you want to know how I discovered this?  Well, it is on the back of the award my Sophie won on Tuesday.  I attended a ceremony at the school where select students were presented with this “terrific Kid’ award for the month of February and March.   I was one proud papa watching my sweet little Sophie march up to stage in front of all the Kindergarten thru 2nd grade students when they called her name. 

After receiving her certificate, she firmly and purposefully shook the principal's hand and strutted proudly to her spot on the stage.  I did honor the request to hold the applause until after all the students were recognized, but man I was clapping like thunder inside.  I would think that Jackie, grandma Carole, and possibly Savannah was doing the same.

As you are probably can guess by now,  it does not take much to get me to take a few pictures.  My wife always says we have the best documented children in the world.   So I grabbed my camera with an attached  PocketWizard MiniTT1 transmitter and  a  light stand with a PocketWizard FlexTT5 transceiver and Canon 580EX flash unit.  Sophie and I headed to the homework bush fort for some shots.  

Both my light stand with the flash unit and my daughter were placed inside the fort.  I was running my flash triggers in TTL  mode as we were trying to get these shots as quick and easy as possible.  The flash unit was placed just left of frame of these shots and was angled to bounce off the  “leaf ceiling” of the bush fort.  I need to get some light on her face.

TerrificKId (1 of 9)

TerrificKId (2 of 9)

Ok… Let’s pull out the reading flash cards.

TerrificKId (3 of 9)

I love Sophie’s creativeness. This was her idea.  We will call this the “flash card fan.” 

TerrificKId (4 of 9)

  Now, it is off to the bench just outside the homework bush fort.

TerrificKId (5 of 9)

TerrificKId (7 of 9)

It has been a long and exciting day. There is nothing wrong with kicking back.

TerrificKId (9 of 9)

Sophia is named after my grandmother Cleda Sophia Jackle.  She is 95 years young.  I know that she will be so proud of her namesake.  Here is a vintage look in honor of my grandmother.

TerrificKId (8 of 9)

See ya soon!!

No comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP